Mr. Thomas is a shareholder at Smith LC, and manages the firm’s Arizona office. Mr. Thomas’s practice focuses on business litigation, with a special emphasis on trade secret and other intellectual property litigation. Throughout his career, Mr. Thomas has successfully protected and vindicated the rights of small-to-medium-sized business owners in a wide variety of business disputes, often against larger competitors. Mr. Thomas’s accomplishments include serving as lead counsel in the following:
- Claims for more than 70 plaintiffs in a large investment fraud case against the professionals of the former Mortgages Limited in Arizona, resulting in settlements of more than $20,000,000.
- Representation of a bankruptcy trustee in a large bank failure in the Midwest in a case against officers, directors, and the bank’s outside auditor, resulting in a seven figure settlement.
- Trade secret and unfair competition claims against a world-wide consumer products company on behalf of a small biotech company in an emerging technology, with alleged damages of more than $1 billion.
- Copyright infringement/trade secret misappropriation case on behalf of the largest CFO business in the country, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Substantial verdict for a successful pain physician against a major metropolitan hospital for wrongfully interfering with the doctor’s medical practice.
- Multimillion dollar settlement against a major Wall Street investment firm for trade secret misappropriation.
- Defense verdict for a small business owner in a multimillion-dollar claim brought by a disgruntled minority shareholder of a dissolved corporation.
- Successfully defeated the efforts of a national company to enforce an unreasonable restrictive covenant not to compete against an entrepreneur with a growing competing business.
Through these and other successes throughout his career, Mr. Thomas has demonstrated a commitment to his personal slogan: “Clients want solutions, not more problems.”